Hessonite garnet gemstone or gomed gemstone enjoys a widespread popularity due to their value as a precious stone. Often used in ornaments and jewelry, it is also often worn by men and women for the health benefits and astrological benefits that they have to offer. However, it is important to get only the most authentic Hessonite Gemstone or Gomed Gemstone for one’s personal use as counterfeit gemstones are really not worth the time and money of the consumers.
Many people who are new to using these stones are not aware of how they can test them for their authenticity and quality. Whether you intend to buy an African garnet or a Hessonite Gemstone from any other part of the world, it is important that you get only authentic gemstones. Here are some methods by which you can test the Hessonite Gemstone or Gomed Gemstone for its authenticity.
Process of testing Gomed/ Garnet Gemstone
- Pick up the Hessonite Gemstone or Garnet Gemstone and then hold it close to your eyes. The stone should be so close to your eyes that your eye lashes effectively touch the stone when you blink. Being this close to the Garnet stone or Hessonite stone can make it easier for you to look through the stone’s table section. The table is actually the top section of the faceted gomed ratan or Garnet Gemstone.
- Now look through the gemstone’s table at a very bright source of light that is kept 6 feet away. You can use a bright lamp or a window as the source of light. The unique refractive properties of the Hessonite or Garnet gemstone are going to give rise to rainbows.
- The features and properties of the rainbows will help you to determine in a conclusive manner whether or not the stone is actually a Gomed or Garnet gemstone.
- Twist and roll the precious gemstone in your hand by keeping it right in front of the eye while you focus on a large rainbow. The Gomed or Garnet gemstone typically displays almost all the shades of the rainbow.
- Thus you should be able to observe multiple bands of blue color, red color, orange color, green color and yellow color.
- Make sure that you pay sufficient attention to the green color and yellow color bands. Since a ruby gemstone does not produce a green color or yellow color band, this should tell you whether you are looking at a Garnet or Gomed gemstone or a ruby.
- Make sure that you observe the Gomed or Garnet gemstone in artificial light as well as natural light. The real Garnet or Gomed gemstones are going to change color in both the types of lights.
- Another good way to evaluate the authenticity of a Hessonite Gemstone or Gomed Gemstone is to carry out a hardness test.
- The Hessonite or Gomed gemstones have a hardness level of 7-7.5 on Moh’s Scale. You can use the Hessonite or Gomed gemstone to scratch on the surface of the steel since steel only has a hardness level of 5 in the Moh’s Scale. However, you cannot create any marks on the Hessonite Gemstone or Gomed Gemstone with the help of a steel blade.
- You can also use Quartz to test whether you are dealing with Hessonite gemstone or Gomed gemstone. Quartz has got a hardness level of 7 or 7.5 on Moh’s Scale. You cannot scratch the Hessonite or Gomed gemstone with quartz or vice versa.
- In case you are able to scratch the so called Hessonite or Gomed gemstone with steel or quartz, you can be sure of the fact that it is not an authentic Hessonite/Gomed gemstone.
In order to make sure that you get only the best gomed stone, it is important that you buy gomed gemstone from the best suppliers and procurers of precious stones. This can certainly help you to get Hessonite/Gomed gemstone products that are of the best quality.