The color change garnet gemstone is a special kind of garnet which alters its color at correspondence to its exposure to a different amount of light. It is an extensively desirable gemstone due to its distinctive and rare capability to change color in different lights. A color change garnet stone is misconceived as pleochroism mineral; however, it does not belong to pleochroism.
The main reason why this stone is not kept under the above-mentioned category because a stone which belongs to pleochroism reflect different colors when it is viewed from different angles in spite of that; in case of color change garnet the same phenomenon does not apply for it.
It does not display a different color when it is being viewed from different angles. Color change garnet stones are a mixture of a group of following garnet stones spessartite, alexandrite, and pyrope.
Few Points of Color Change Garnet Gemstone
- A color change garnet stone changes its color tremendously when it is being put under the sun or normal daylight. A color change garnet stone (gomed) display mostly blue, brownish and green color when it is viewed under normal daylight.
- However, it exhibits different colors when it is viewed under artificial light for example under incandescent light. The colors like pink, bronze being displayed under artificial daylight.
- The ability of garnet stone (hessonite) to change or alter its color is a unique and rare quality which only a few gemstones are capable of doing. Generally, gemstone displays or exhibit a unique color due to its competency to absorb all colors but not a specific one.
- For example, a green emerald stone appears green because it absorbs all light waves and reflects only green color. A gemstone shows up best shades of color in natural daylight by the reason of a balanced spectrum of light in normal daylight.
- A color change garnet changes hue based upon the light source. The garnet changes its color in normal daylight mainly from red to green and additionally it also alters color from green to gray. Aside from this, under artificial light, it changes its color from pink-violet to purple.
- Similarly, under candlelight, it displays intense dark red color. Besides the above-mentioned color, a color change garnet stone also displays colors like yellow, purple, pink, bronze under different lights.
- A color change hessonite stone is typically a transparent gemstone nevertheless; it contains few inclusions which can be visible with naked eyes.
- It is rare to find a garnet gemstone without any inclusions. Color change garnet stone is found in different shape cushion shape, emerald cut and round cut are some of the popular shapes of garnet stone.